Saturday 18 April 2020

Sausages and salami

More sausages from the mince I'd done yesterday.
I used up the 1 1/5 kg of pork mice to make 11 sausages and one big salami.
I used up all the hog skin that I hadn't used first time, about 1.5m. I was a bit short.
I wonder if the sala
One of the articles I read suggested using a stand mixer with dough hook to mix the meat and herbs. I ended up breaking the stand mixer as I used the wooden spoon to try and push down the meat in the bowl, it jambed the hook and there was a clunk, now it seems to half go. So I will have to make some bread to see if it still works. That has been a great tool so I'll need to get another mixer if that's broken and be more careful next time.
The pork had been minced once so it was a bit of a pain as the fat clogged the sieve. Actually, I think I may have had the blade the wrong way around. Duh!!!!
Anyway, I ended up making another mix with some added garlic but forgot to put in the chilli chips. I also reduced the salt to 1 1/2 % so hopefully not as salty.
I ended up filling a salami skin too and used the same mix, I have that in the biltong box with the first fan as the other died. That is a shame as it was handy and went for a long time.
I ended up with a 2 ssausage length, a four and five sausage length and 3 patties that I'll try too.
I was a bit dissapointed in the last sausage pattie I made as it was too sugary and sweet, far less brown sugar next time.
I'm waiting for the beef to thaw at the moment so I can push it through the grinder and see if having the blade the other way around makes a difference.

It was very messy so I've decided to carry on mincing the beef as I want to do one cleanup at the end.
I need to soak more guts to make sausage. But I want to test with the blade the other way around.

I had the blades the wrong way around. It minced the beef great on rough and fine so the process is easier and less messy than I thought.

This looks interesting, 3% salt to meat ratio.  Also use string to tie, rather than trying to knot the skin.
I ended up using these mixes:
I allowed for 2% salt and am using beef rather than pork.



Hopefully the salami wil dry well. I waas finding it difficult getting the skin on the nozzle. I may have to look for a different nozzle thats thinner. Mayber moore wilsons.

No comments:

Post a Comment