Monday 25 May 2020

Potato Soup & Minestrone Soup

The weather is cooling and I want some soups.  I am near the end of the month so shopping is not a goer until the beginning of the next month when in funds. So, whats in the cupboard.
I have some potatoes so I wanted to use them so:

Potato soup

This I just chopped up what was in thre cupboard. I've put the vid in below but I made up a recipe.


  • A few rashers of bacon, browned in some lard, then I removed bacon and put in
  • 2 small onions,
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • big carrot.
Those were browned then I put in
  • two tablespoons of flour and browned that off, then put in some
  • stock, I had one cup of chicken stock I'd made and I put in 2 oxo cubes of chicken stock and stirred that all up.
  • 4 medium to small potatoes diced up and thrown in
and let it simmer.  It was a bit glutenous with the flour and I added some water.
  • rosemary powder. I was a bit heavyhanded with that
  • ground pepper
  • bay leaves
  • parsley
Toasted ciabatta.
  • milk to the bowl
I tried to avoid salt as the oxo cubes usually have a fair dose of it. I added milk to the bowl so if I freeze some of the soup there wont be any dairy in it.

Very hearty and filling.
Next time I'll be lighter on the rosemary.
There were recipes that loaded it with cheese and cream but I just wanted a simple soup that was not too heavy.

The pot has enough for 3 portions. I may freeze one of them so I can think about a minestrone soup.
Its nice to have some backupsin the freezer for a handy luch on a cool day.


I've had a goo for

Minestrone soup

Both the videos below look excellent:
I have most of the ingredients apart from cabbage/kale so I may hold off on this until a shop. If the weather stays cool I'll improvise.

No comments:

Post a Comment