Friday 15 May 2020

Pizza Bianco with Rosemary & Pancetta

I had a couple of failures with pizzas recently, which dissapointed me, I thought I'd got them sussed.
The issues were:
  • The base was sticking to the pizza pan
  • The middle was really soggy
  • I put this down to a couple of things, Firstly, putting too much tomato based sauce on the pizza so it was too wet.    But I'd always done this in the past with little isse
  • The second thing was the pizza was too thin. So I used John Kirkwoods recipe and split it into 3 rather than 4.
  • The third was the proofing time after rolling it out. As I'm proofing on the oven tray, it may be sticking.
The proofing after rolling out has come later, and initially I had a lot of success with it but the last couple of times its been sticking.
What I think is happening is I'm not flouring the counter as I'm rolling it out, so the pizza dough is sticky, so when proofing sticks to the tray.
Anyway, I'd put it down to too much tomato sauce base, so I decided to make a Pizza Bianco with only a cream & cheese base rather than tomato.
So I thought I'd try with Jamies recipe below:


It was a lovely pizza as I love potatoes on Pizza and I tried to be very restrained with the toppings. Only cured ham, the cream & cheese sauce, rosemary in oil and potato and a pork sausage I'd made and cooked in the air fryer (after doing the potato in Microwave & Air fryer).




So the base was not wet, I'd heated the oven up to 250 deg C and it was still sticking to the pan.
So, I'll need to flour the counter before rolling again.

The reason I'd stopped flouring the counter was the pita breads, they seemed to puff better without the flour. All in all I think I'll try
I used half a block of Philadelphia cream cheese (after scraping mould off as it had been in there too long). A lesson learned on that. I also got some cheddar cheese out of the freezer and used a grater to get it fine to mix with the cream cheese and lemon juice. Being frozen you can grate it muh finer.
The freezing of the cheddar changes its taste and consistency, it becomes a lot more friable. I will carry on getting 1kg blocks but will vacuum seal it into 4 portions and then leave the other blocks in the fridge, the freezer cheese does not taste as good. Seems ok with the Brie or Camembert, but not the cheddar.

I'll try ther recipe again, with a floured base and see if that works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment