Monday 4 March 2019

Tortillas la patatas

This one turned a little dry as I was not watching it enough. Its my fault, I zip into the living room and get engrossed on the computer and forget to check things.
I will try and use the kitchen timer more to keep me watching.
 I like the slightly runny centre. Its also good for re-heating later, its not as dry then.
Tortillas la patatas is a great snack and side dish as well as a good breakfast. Omar Allibhoy's video on how to make them is the one I follow: Simple, make sure you leave it runny in the middle so its not dry on later days Good for reheating and having with main meals.

I really enjoyed  Tortillas in Spain. I tried it once in Ireland and as I was working through my recipes I watched quite a few YouTube chef videos on how to make them but Omar Allibhoy's seems really good and straightforward, so I followed his version.
The first time I did it it came out dry, and I have since followed his recipe with more rigor to ensure it stays moist in the middle.
I heat it up for breakfast and its great, I also use it as a side to a meat dish if I have it available.
It can be a bit dry and bland if you overcook it, that is why under-cooking it helps with when you reheat it.
I did try to get fancy and add garlic to one of the batches, not a good idea. It overwhelmed the taste of the potatoes and eggs.
Frying pan size. I did try with a large pan initially, but it ended up a very shallow tortilla which was dry as it cooked through so quick. I now have a smaller frying pan and that allows the mixture to go right up to the rim, so is deep and the centre stays moist.
Ingredients:
  • 500ml Olive oil (drain and reuse so have another bottle ready for that)
  • 1 Onion, sliced thinly
  • 3 large potatoes. I use Agria potatoes, but its also fine with new baby potatoes
  • 6 eggs

Fry onion in olive oil in frying pan (large)
Then add thinly sliced potatoes (I use mandolin to slice the potatoes)
10-15 minutes on high to caramelized.  Stir potato and onion.
Break 6 eggs into a big bowl .
Then lift out  potato and onion and drain oil and drop into eggs and move around.
Add some salt.
Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
Then into small frying pan. On high for 1 minute, then low for 2 minutes.
Then use a plate and flip over and put raw side down. 1 minute high then 2 minutes low.
Touch it to test, see if it bounces.
Then eat.
The mixing of the potatoes and onions into the eggs and letting it rest does part of the cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment