Monday 4 March 2019

Making butter. 2 ingredients

 I followed the recipe of John Kirkwood on his video below:
End result, lovely although it could have used more salt for my taste.
 For 500ml of cream I got 220g of butter.
The cream cost $3.25 and you can buy 500g of butter for $5.50 so, in New Zealand the economics do not quite stack up at present.
So, only to be used on special occasions.
Easy and fun to do.




I bought a mixer from the Warehouse, the making of butter was the justification as I'd been making Ciabatta bread by hand and didn't feel that on its own it would justify buying the mixer.
So, following his demonstration I used:
  •  500ml of cream from  Pak'nSave
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
In the video I think he mentions thick cream, but I could only find one type of cream on the shelf, so I used that.
The mixer is 350 w so not that powerful. In the video it took about 4 minutes to churn the butter, with my mixer it took about 15-18 minutes. I also had to scrape the sides down as it was working a central bit of whipped cream and a lot on the sides was not moving.
Otherwise all went the same, my butter clustered in bigger lumps, maybe because of the slower mixing (it was on the top speed).
I appreciate what he said about it possibly splashing all over the kitchen when it separated from the buttermilk.
The final weight was 220g.
I know 500g of butter is about $5-6$ Nz, so I'm not sure that this is a saving.
I'm waiting for my bread to be baked and then I'll do the tasting test. It definitely looks good though.
Tasting, fresh Ciabatta from the oven and homemade butter. YUM.
 But, not enough salt in the butter for my taste, so I'll have to raise the salt content for the next time.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment