Monday 4 March 2019

Gambas Pil Pil

This is a favorite meal of mine, and I'm glad I have anti-reflux pills as my recipe is a bit potent.


  • Gambas-  prawns
  • pil-pil -A sauce of Basque origin made from olive oil, garlic and chili.

  • Gambas al Ajillo- Garlic Shrimp is the more common menu item in the south of Spain, but in the North they would have the pil pil version, and in Madrid too is what i recall personally.
I use
  •  200 g frozen raw prawns (broken pieces, deveined and no tails), defrosted. If I remember to get them out early, I thaw on windowsill in sealed container, if not, 10min in microwave on that. (Actually ends up about 15 min overall)
  • 1 whole garlic
  • 3 fresh chillies (from Vege market) 
  • Salt
  • Olive Oil
The Spanish tapas dish is filled with oil to cover the garlic & chillies. Heat up until oil is hot, add some ground salt to oil and then put in garlic , chillies a minute later, then the prawns about 2 minutes after that, stirring all the time. When the prawns have turned pink and look cooked, take to table and eat.
Some fresh ciabatta bread, about 3 slices to mop up the mixture. Delicious.
I usually do this on Sundays as I've been to the vege market and got chillies and also to Supermarket to get fresh bread. Now I just use my ciabatta bread instead. ¡Buen provecho! ¡Buen apetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment