Sunday 31 March 2019

Ciabatta in Ar fryer


I've been getting pretty successful with the ciabatta and I thought I try a bit of baking in the Air Fryer.
After my not too successful effort with crumpets, I thought I'd split my bets and do some rolls in the Air Fryer and the main loaves in the oven as normal, to compare.
Rolls and loaves proofing in closhe. I have rollled up tea towels under to support sides and baking paper for the dough to sit on

after 2nd proofing I split it into 3 rather than 2 so that I could do a couple of rolls. Having sat for 20 min prior to going in oven I put some water in the bottom of air dryer and oven, and preheated oven 10 minutes before putting them in, the air dryer I left for 2 minutes before.
In oven they go in for 12 minutes, and are then turned.
In air fryer I looked after 6 minutes and they had baked a bit so I took off the baking paper and turned them over, hoping for an all over bake.
Air fryer versus oven

I looked at them at about 11 minutes and they looked quite pale, so I got a brush out and the milk, looking to put a wash on it, and when I opened the basket next it was quite brown on the bottom, so I just turned them over and then let it run on until about 17 minutes.
I'm waiting for the oven ones. They are taking a bit longer than normal as I moved the oven trays further down for my two roasts, so they seem to be baking slower.

 The end result of both look fine. I'll have to put them all to the taste test.

Flour in creases

When shaping the dough after the 2nd rise you put on a floured surface. The batch before last I had some real creases in the bottom of the loaves that were quite deep and full of uncooked flour. I don't like that very much.
so for the last couple of times I've tried to be as light as possible with the flour on the bench. I actually found that when I was shaping the dough if I lifted up an edge with the dough paddles I could see lots of flour all bunched up on the bench whilst the base of the dough was floured alright, so if I moved the dough over I could clear this excess flour away and put it on top of the dough as needed. No flour in creases since then.

Ciabatta rolls in Air Fryer

 A thumbs up for that. I just had a cheese and onion roll and it was fresh and delicious.
I'll now need to do some research on freezing the dough so that I can take some out of freezer the night before and have some breakfast rolls.
I have found this article so far.  It suggests doubling the yeast as the freezing process kills some of it off.
This forum discussion suggests because of the freezer you need to thaw in fridge overnight then double proofing time to allow for the yeast being not so effective. One person says half bake and then freeze, then you can stick straight back in the oven. That's more my style.
Sometimes I have the loaves around for a few days, so for the loaves I have to cut them up before I freeze them, and they are only good for the toaster. 
 If its only dough in the freezer then it takes up a lot less space, but not handy for a quick breakfast roll.
 I appreciate that but too long for a couple of rolls. I think I'll try the half baking and freezing method. Maybe 7 minutes for 2 roll in the Air Fryer, then let cool and freeze.
I'll make some poolish now for baking tomorrow. It looks like I'd get 6-8 rolls from the same mix.
 

Par baking

After watching mr Youtube from some bakers, apparently you par bake and freeze as quixckly as possible. This keeps the moisture in the bread roll.
I did 5 minutes with rolls in baking paper, then took the paper out of the air fryer, turned them and did another 2 minutes at 200 deg C (highest setting). They looked cooked through and were slightly browned.
I tried to do 4 minutes then take baking paper out but they were slightly doughy in parts so went back to the 5 min and 2 min.
I got 8 rolls out of the mixture that I normally do for the ciabatta loaves.
I wrapped them in a tea towel and put them straight into the freezer (over the fridge) to hopefully cool them down fast) then I'll transfer to a plastic bag and put them in the chest freezer.
I still have quite a bit of bread from the last bake, so I'll report back after trying them out later.

Reheating

2 rolls were defrosted overnight. In the Air fryer at 200 deg C for 5 minutes after preheating fryer for 2-3 minutes. It came out doughy. I think a different setting required. Maybe longer but at a slightly lowered temperature. I'll try 10 minutes at say 170 deg C for 2nd roll.

Ciabatta rolls in fridge- 15th April 2019


Trying the par-baking of the bread rolls didn't really work for me. They are handy, but they do not taste right. So I thought I'd try storing the rest of the ciabatta batch in containers in the fridge and bake them when I need them. I really enjoy the ciabatta rolls in the air fryer, they come out fine, and are fresh and springy. I baked 2 of the 6 to have wiuth Gambas Pil Pil and had one left over for breakfast. Since I have bread frequently in the week I think I'll try baking from scratch from the fridge to see if they have a different taste. I suppose I should get them out an hour before to let them come to room temperature before I bake them. Not sure if I should knock them back and let them rise again. To be tested in the coming days.













No comments:

Post a Comment