Monday 4 March 2019

Pizza dough and toppings



John Kirkwood's pizza video: This works for me 4 nice thin pizza bases, you can put them in fridge or freezer for another day



I tried following Gennaro's video but it didn't work for me, it was just a heavy carboardy pizza base that you'd find in a supermarket. That was my fault as I wanted a quick pizza and rushed the process.
I have tried getting pre-prepared pizzas from supermarkets, or fresh bases but none of them are right. In Ireland we used to make pizza's and they were great. I was far too excessive with the toppings and overdid that part of the pizza, I just wanted lots of everything.
I think though, that Mies Van De Rohe's adage of "Less is more" applies to pizzas.
 I have since allowed myself time to prepare the dough properly and as I was happy with John Kirkwood's ciabatta recipe I decided that I'd use his process.
After making the first batch, I could only eat one at a time, so I stored the other 3 dough balls away, 2 in the freezer and one in the fridge. The one I made first I tried to follow a hand shaping of the pizza and it was very very thin in the middle and thick around the edges and didn't bake well. It was hard and dry, quite disappointing. The second I just rolled with a rolling pin and it was even throughout (even homogeneous) and it was great. So I think I'll stick to the rolling pin method.

Ingredients

I make the dough balls then freeze 3 of them.

Toppings

A few things:
1. Mozzarella cheese is better than Cheddar on the pizzas. I found a reasonable value grated bag at the supermarket.
Definitely not as dominant as Cheddar. So other topping flavours come out
2. The local Italian pizza place in Newtown, the Mediterranean shop used to do a potato topping, then they stopped it. I was a bit disappointed as it makes a nice topping.
3. I tried to be restrained today and ended with a vegetarian one that was delicious. Brochette Tomato sauce base, mozzarella cheese, potatoes, 1 small chilli, red capsicum, milk mozzarella ball, olives (de-pipped- a bit bland)

Mini calzones- 17/4/2019

I have been making some mini calzones in the air fryer. I can get 3 out of a single dough ball. So, 10 min one side and 5 turned over. Preheat for 2 minutes. Temp 200 deg C and canola oil spray both sides prior to putting in.

1. Pancetta choppied into fine pieces on bottom, mozzarella cheese over, olives, bruschetta mix on top (for calzones wet stuff to the top otherwise you get a soggy botto).
2. Same as above but I used tortilla potatoes on top of mozzarella cheese with bruschetta sauce over. It didn't work. Potatoes too soft. I did wonder if I had too many flavours in it. Still a fine calzone though.

These are quick to do, so I've had 2 for a late lunch (4pm) and will just make the last one up around 7pm after walking the dog. I may even think of having a salad with that one.

 Pizza toppings 19th Dec 2019

I've just had the pizza below, bruchetta topping with tomato paste for base, 1/2 1/2 mozarella and tasty cheddar grated, fresh tomato, sliced frsh onion, sliced ham, chilli bits and Brie. Light, tasty, but not overwhelmingly so, the chillis give a bite, and a thin base, I'm now letting rest after rolling for 10-15 min and then stretching up all sides of tray.
A really delicious meal. Over 230 deg C , Fan assist, preheat over, put in for 10 min and then turn and then 5 min and check.
lovely

Poolish for Pizza dough

I came across this article of using a poolish for the pizza dough that looks quite interesting:
https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/pizza-dough-with-a-poolish/
You use less yeast, idea of doing in th morning and making in the evening. 


No comments:

Post a Comment