Wednesday 20 March 2019

Freezer meals

I was talking with my daughter about freezer space and she suggested I get a bigger freezer as she prepares veges and other things on the weekend for the week and stores it all in the freezer.
As a totally ignoramus male I thought what a good idea and then started to look at YouTube videos about storing stuff in the freezer.
This lady just blows me away with her organization and process.

I get a bit demotivated with cooking as I end up having to eat the same thing for the next few days. Then the epiphany, freeze the meals so that they can be had anytime.I'd never considered this as my freezer was always full (bread, ice cream tub, a few pieces of meat, chips and frozen veges) and it was full.

Chest Freezer 

 I bought a chest freezer. There were a couple on sale that fitted my need about 145l capacity for about $400 and $50 delivery cost from warehouse.
I bought the more efficient of the 2. As this runs 24/7/365 the more efficient it is, the cheaper it'll be, so it more than pays back capital cost in the long run.
 I also bought some containers, one a square box , the other a slim folder box, for putting food in upright and organizing it. I need another square box for on top, and I'd like another wire basket at the lid and I'll kook out for those when I'm out and about.
The lady in the video uses soft bags, I may consider that for the container meals.

Ideas on uses

Initially I was just going to get lots of meat for Manu, the fussy dog, on special and store it.
I usually buy fresh meat every other day so he has fresh food. He is a fussy boy and doesn't like the same meal twice in a row, so having lots of meat means I can mix his food. I'll just have to portion it up and thaw it as I go. We'll see how that works out.
Also, I thought I could buy stuff in bulk and portion it in the freezer. But after watching the lady above I thought I do some batch cooking. I also have a new label maker, so I thought I'd try that out.

Meals to plan 

I walk past the freezer section in the supermarket and see the frozen meals in there and consider buying them. Now I can just make my own.
I'm excited about making a roast. I haven't had one for so long as it is always too much meat.  But I plan to do a leg of lamb, roast potatoes, veges, gravy and Yorkshire pudding.

I plan to do some of the following also:
  • Prawn curries with rice
  • Potato curries with rice
  • Mash & mince in some way.
I have to think about portion size now. Previously I'd be trying to buy the smallest amount, now I have to cook for 4 to 6 portions so that I can stock the freezer with a few meals.

Containers

I've just been down to Moore Wilsons, a food wholesaler, and seen all the bulk items you can purchase.  A bit of a distraction as I went there for the containers.
I was able to buy 50 750ml containers and lids for $12, so that works out as 25c/container. They are also reusable so that should suffice for a while.

Bulk buying

at the wholesalers they had larger bags of frozen stuff that are not available at normal supermarkets. Some of them quite good value.
I was going to get some cauliflowers and blanch them and freeze them for meals but a kilo bag is only about 6$, so it might be better to purchase those instead.
I had been thinking about chili's which are expensive, even at the open Market and you can get 1/2 Kg for about $6, so I may look into that as well.
I'll need to do some strategic planning before filling up the freezer with things I'll not use much or stuff that takes up a lot of room but doesn't get used regularly.

Inventory

 This is an interesting issue for me. I'm just filling out an excel file with the list of things I have in the freezer at the moment. I wonder if I could use google forms to manage meal containers on a spreadsheet?
I now have a  Google Sheets online link on my mobile, so I can easily delete a container if I've used it from the inventory. I've added a bookmark to my main computer with  a keyword abbreviation for the address bar 'fz" so it opens the spreadsheet if you type those letters and enter in the address bar.
Quick and easy access for adding items after a shop. I realised that I'd forgotten something on the list, it was easy to add another row of information, even on the mobile.



End thoughts

 My freezer came on Tuesday and I cleaned out my tiny freezer, lots of different breads in there that I didn't even know I had plus a couple of bags of soup, not sure what of though. They can stay until the cold weather.
There were a couple of frozen meals in there, one is a Macaroni cheese and the other is a couple of home made burgers. I'll eat them now so I can have a clean start.
I'm dying to get in and start batch cooking but i think I'll clean up what I have first. Also I'll wait until after Sunday morning when I go to the vege market.
One good thing is that i can now have one ciabatta loaf fresh and freeze the other one, so I'm a bit more flexible as to when I need to bake next.

I'm currently grilling some chicken drumsticks for Manu and will put them in containers.
Regarding the grilling. I hate the grill I have as its too big for the sink and a real pain to clean. I have been putting tin foil on top but that tears and the fat and juices drain into the grill tray and smoke and that still needs cleaning. I'm now trying a shallow baking tray with sides to catch the fat and juices.  It is working to a point but its buckling with the heat. Keeps all the fat and juices in though.

This is the screen labels I'm using on a 12mm (1/2") tape for labeling containers.

The  strip is plastic so water wont affect the labels on the containers, so its easy to put another label over the previous one.



No comments:

Post a Comment