Monday 9 March 2020

Hamburger buns

I've been enjoying juicy hamburgers of late and i want to now make some hamburger buns.

I like the Food wishes videos and will follow Chef John's recipe:

Here are the ingredients from his web page:
https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/07/homemade-hamburger-buns-oh-my-god-becky.html

Ingredients for 8 large hamburger buns:

1 package (2 1/2 tsp) dry active yeast (I used Fleischmann's “RapidRise” Yeast)
1 cup very warm water
1 large egg
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 pound all-purpose flour (about 3 1/2 cups)
Note: add a 1/2 cup of the flour to the yeast and water, and then the remainder before kneading
 
for the tops:
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk
sesame seeds
*bake at 375 degrees F. for 15-17 minutes

After mixing with stand mixer, the dough was a bit firm . I let it rise for an hour and it doubled in size. Cut into8 then on tray to rise for an hour

 After an hour a good rise. I'd left them in the oven (off) to do the rising, out of the sun. I put milk on for wash and then sesame, I thought egg was a bit OTT.
After 15 min I turned for 2 minutes and the result looks good
I'd a beef burger pattie in the freezer which i trhawed, 3 min one side then 2 on other, I put processed cheese on top to melt once I'd dome the fist side
I put frying pan lid on to allow for heat to stay in to melt the cheese
2 potatoes in air fryer, coleslaw, potato salad and the burger. Mayonaisse buttered to both sides of bun, lettuce under, pattie with cheese , onion, gherkins and tomatoes. A big meal
 The bun was great. A good size for the burger, and tasted nice and fresh. I've put the other 7 in the freezer for later meals. 

28th May 2020- Another recipe to try


I'm trying out a macdonalds type one, looks softer. 4 eggs. Solighter I presume


Here is link to recipe

Hamburger Buns  (yields 12)
  • Measured        Weight          Grams         Ingredients
  • ¾ cup                  0.38 lb.            180 g.         Water (room temp.)
  • 2 tsp.                   0.02 lb.                 8 g.         Instant Yeast
  • ¾ cup                  0.38 lb.            180 g.         Whole Milk (room temp.)
  • ¼ cup                  0.15 lb.              70 g.         Canola Oil (or vegetable)
  • 4 each                  4 each            227 g.         Eggs (large, room temp.)
  • ¼ cup                  0.12 lb.              55 g.         Granulated Sugar
  • 5-¾ cups             1.73 lb.            800 g.         Bread Flour (King Arthur)
  • 2-½ tsp.               0.04 lb.              18 g.         Sea Salt (fine)
  • ¼ cup Natural Sesame Seeds for Topping the Buns
A very sticky dough, I used the blades to mix it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment