Tuesday 24 March 2020

covid diary 25th March 2020

Today is the last day of Level 3. As of tonight at 11.59pm it moves to Level 4, stay at home.
I recieved Watsapp texts form both my brothers about where they were at, and I realised NZ was going into lockdown. Then realised that I'd better get my bit of shopping in, also I should think about non- essential things such as batteries and other things I can't get from the supermarket.
I started reading a couple of articles on people in lockdown in Spain who have been that way for 10 days, they are not allowed out AT ALL, unless they have a pet, thats when the chap with a goat got done. The fines seem pretty high for going out. So young kids in an appartment for 4 weeks. That is tough. At least people will be able to go for a walk in Wellington.
 WHO said new cases accelerating. It only seems to have taken 2 days to get from 300K to 400k, yesterday they said 4 days from 200k to 300k.
I've been working on my NZ region covid map, extracting data from Wiki page and presenting it on a map. Legend next part of exercise.
Weather still nice, airport totally inactive.

 At the supermarke a few shelves were empty, mainly staples (flour in Pak'n'Save) and sanitisers etc, and in Countdown no Tonic water, but otherwise all fine. People were shopping as normal, a few with masks on.

There were a couple of police checking up at Pak,n,save and countdown with the managers, but all seemed fine.

At countdown there were cones up for getting in and staff were counting the numbers going into the shop, also manging people at the tills, Keeping people back so that there was clear distance at checkout. Nothing of that in Pak'n'save, that seemed to be business as usual.

Filled up with petrol, that seemed a lot cheaper than the last time I purchased it, it was, on returning from Zoe at the end of last month at about $2.30/l and it is about $1.94/l at the moment.

I went out in the afternoon to get some batteries and a couple of other non supermarket items before lockdown. I got all the stuff at Uncle Bills, it was pretty relaxed in there, I was going to go into the Warehouse but they were only letting a few people in at a time, so there were queues outside and what I wanted in there wasn't impotant enough to queue for. It was lovely down the beach, nice weather.

Lockdown in about 5 hours time. This will be interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment