Monday 1 July 2019

Won ton soup


Its cooling down in Autumn now and I'll be looking for some warming soups. I like the idea of making a batch of won tons and freezing them for soups during the week.
I need to get won ton pastry and chicken stock, and maybe some chicken, also bok choy is nice with it too, and I have the mung beans, so I should start to learn how to make this dish as I would order a pork won ton soup regularly from KC's in Courtenay place.

Here is a real basic example of the soup, no frills.


 

I like Marion's videos and her cooking , here is her take on it:



First attempt

I made the won tons and have frozen some for later. 
I cooked the won tons in a separate pot so flour would not mess up ther broth. Oxo cubes 1 1/2 low salt chicken in 1 1/2 cups of water with Garlic, ginger paste & pepper at beginning and one star anise added later. I only made enough broth for one bowl. Also I only simmered the broth for about 10 minutes.
 I used dried ribbon noodles ans some pork chunks. 
A little bland, both the broth and the won ton fillings. Both needed a bit of zing. I did get some Pam's Chicken stock  so for next one I will use that and compare. 
It definitely filled me up and was a hearty meal. 
The next pork joint I do for Manu I will carve a few pork slices off. Actually, the pork tasted meaty, but different to what I'd get at the restaurant. Maybe it should be stewed in the broth more. 
I didn't add any salt or soy afterwards either, maybe that would lift the flavour? 
I had about 8 won tons and the pork.
So, next time:
More flavour in the broth. Try by using chicken stock rather than cubes.Start broth early and simmer to get flavours in it. 









123

No comments:

Post a Comment