Monday 1 July 2019

Crab Rangoon & firecracker shrimps

I have seen this on a few vids and thought I'd give it a crack.
Its Cheese and Surimi filling (with onions) wontons and there are a few variations on the theme.

 Crab rangoon with surimi

I had Philadelphia cheese and I was at shops and decided to get some surimi to try this recipe out.
The above vid is good as its baked rather than deep fried.

I had half the block of Phili cheese and about 100-125g of surimi and 1/4 chopped onion (run out of spring onions) and made them into shapes above. I got 17 out of the mix.

I used air fryer for 5 of them. I had bought some sirachi sauce (Thai chilli) and thought I'd try that out. It's a hot sauce and too hot for these won tons as they have a delicate taste. So not the ideal outcome.

I froze the rest so will have to try them with a sweet chili sauce next time.  Or the mayo and sriracha sauce in vid below, that way you can adjust to your own spiciness in the sauce.
Easy to make and freeze and ingredients are not hard to come by.
Not crab though!!!!!

Not that impressed by them, just tasted creamy, not much crab flavour and it didn't go too well with sweet chili sauce either. The Mayo/sriracha  mix was OK but didn't really complement the cheese. Also cheese leaked from pastries in Air Fryer, even if you were heating from frozen.
I've some left as well as some cheesy dumplings (that leak too). I might try steaming them and seeing if that method works better. Also a bit of research on dipping sauce to complement the cheese.
Easy to make, but taste hasn't wowed me. If I try again I'll put some prawns in and a lot more surimi to try and get more of a seafood taste rather than just cheese.

Firecracker shrimps

This looks fun to do. I think I'll have to give these a try with the air fryer.
I like the sauce, mayo and sriracha sauce mixed together
in the one below she freezes them for later
for Vietnamese its rocket shrimp. one below has rice paper.

I tried the ones above, cutting the pastry in half. It tasted too much of the pastry- need to cut the pastry (spring roll large pastry sheets) into quarters, then the ration of prawn to pastry may be more balanced. Tasted hard and crunchy, not too mush prawn flavour.
The mayonnaise sriracha sauce mix was good, creamy with a bit of after burn.

 
I tried with the rice paper but that didn't work too well.
I then tried with 1/4 sheet of pastry and that worked great.  Very happy with the result. The ratio of pastry to shrimp works for 1/4 sheet and the sauce is definitely great. I will start using it instead of sour cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment