Monday 1 July 2019

Bread pudding in Air Fryer, No, oven yes.

This is something that sticks to your ribs. Not too sweet but filling.
I like this chaps process, although I didn't add the butter to the bread, just to the bowl for prepping.
160 deg C for 20 minutes (half of the 40 minutes for normal oven).

I wanted to use some molenburg bread as it was taking up room in the freezer. I threw everything in and cooked it for quite a while but it did not set. I threw out half of it. It didn't quite work with the flavours. I will go back to a simple white bread and minimalist recipe.

Overall, not blown away with the results, in fact I didn't make it for a long while because I was disappointed with it. I think I tossed a lot of it.
I threw in too many spices. I had a feeling I was doing so at the time. 


 Oven Recipe

I then decided to go back to a simple oven recipe and used this gentleman's recipe:

I found it was a lot more simple, a bigger batch, but I froze a lot of it and have been eating it regularly.
I have been saving the leftover ciabatta bread when I don't eat it all and make a new batch. I put those bits in a freezer bag and collect the ends in the freezer. I have to thaw and when mixed with the wet ingredients leave them to soak a lot longer as the bread is pretty crusty. I also have to use the bread knife to cut it into smaller pieces, too hard to tear with hands.
This was the taste I was after, so I'll be making it again for sure.
ingredients - 
  • 500g bread -any bread 
  • 500g dried fruit 
  • 140g light muscavado 
  • 600 ml milk
  • 2 eggs
  •  demerara sugar for sprinkle topping 
  • 1.5 teaspoon of ground mixed spice, (cinnamon nutmeg) 
  • 100g melted butter

16th May 2020. A different recipe- verdict- Delicious, and not too sweet

I hadsome nubs of ciabatta left over so decided, as the weather was cooling, to use them up in  bread pudding.
I found this one online and decided to give it a try, the photos show its the right colour, dark brown rather than pale.

Recipe webpage  here:
Ingredients:
  • 1kg Bread (day old/stale white bread), chopped.
  • 1,200ml Whole milk.
  • 400g Raisins
  • 300g Currants.
  • 300g Sultanas
  • 100g Mixed peel.
  • 100g Glace cherries.
  • 2 tbsp Ground mixed spice.
  • 4 Egg.
  • 280g Light brown sugar (plus additional for sprinkling on top before baking).
I was a little lighter on raisins etc but added grated orange zest and used 4 eggs. I think milkwise I used about 600ml, also nutmeg and cinnamon and some mixed spice.
I was a little light on the sugar but its absolutely delicious. Not too sweet but a nice crunchy top with the sugar on top which I'd layed quite thick.
Looking forward to having this over the next few day and hopefully weeks if I don't scoff it all too quickly.
Definitely a great use of unused bread.
For the baguettes I just cut them up and toast them, that is good too.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment