Sunday 14 July 2019

Pupusa's , Pickled cabbage

My daughter Zoe is coming to stay and she is gluten intolerant. So I thought I'd look up online things to make that she could eat. She definitely will not be having my sausage rolls, that's for sure.
So, I came across pupusa's from El Salvador and thought I'd give them a try, they look really good.


First problem is getting the corn flour. I did try normal cornflour and that was useless. I needed the Masa Harisa. In all the video's they use Maseca brand and I tracked some down in Moore Wilson's.

I first had to make the pickled salad so hunted down some apple cider. The cabbage, carrot and onion is pretty good. You have to refrigerate it overnight and it is pretty crunchy and zingy. I'll need to make some without onions for the Zot.

The pickled cabbage recipe vid
 After this the straight recipe for pupusa's
and the guys simplification process:

The making of them.

So after finding the right flour, I set to work. Browned the pork which I'd cut into small pieces and blitzed with a tomato and half a brown onion. That was alright, I'd forgot the garlic so added a teaspoon full and blitzed again.
The filling was more like a paste, which is what it is supposed to be, but a bit wet, so when I was making the balls, drips of fluid would come out, so I had to dry the mix out a bit. I think it was supposed to ball up in your hand but mine was a bit more creamy. I'd been light on the pork as I wanted to save some for when Zoe comes.
The easy guy method didn't quite work for me either. He had a dryer mix (1.5 cups of water to 3 of flour, whereas proper one was 3.5 to 4 cups of water to 4 cups flour, but the guys one also had a bit more oil in his dough). Both aimed for "playdough" consistency. I thought I had that but mine was too dry. In the end I added more water and oil.
I used Mozzarella cheese as well, separate to the pork mix. I thought the cheesy strands look better.

Result

My dough was either too thick, too thin in places and would crack, and sticky, so putting in down on the chopping board it peeled away the dough on one side.
After making one I don't think I had enough filling in as it was pretty dry, hence the pickled cabbage and salsa to give it a lift.
The more I did the thicker they got.

Overall

I thought this   would be a cool recipe and something interesting that is gluten free but i was a bit disappointed with it.
After all the effort I was not that impressed with the result of the pupusa's themselves. I liked the pickled cabbage though. I'd do that again.
I think for a gluten free type meal I'd go for the quesadilla's instead. Easier to make and prepare and a bit more flexible.
I might try using the maseca flour to make tortilla's instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment