Monday 1 July 2019

Moule et frittes & instant pot recipe

 From Belgique apparently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moules-frites
When Mary & I tried to do the Camino from Mont St Michael we came across the Galettes and Moule & Frittes when we were exploring Riennes & Nantes areas.
Mary's was not a fan of Mussels but I like seafood and am not fussed about fish. So I was trying it out a bit.
The mussels were tiny, so you almost expended more effort getting them out of shell and into mouth  than the calorific value of the mussel.  Not so with NZ green lipped mussels that are a decent size! Or so I thought. I decided to do a white wine recipe, sadly Chef John was the best I've found to date, no frittes.

 Moule et frittes

As a kiwi, mussels and chips seems weird, but it works.
I used air fryer with chopped up Agria potatoes , thinly sliced, no oil with some Hellman's mayonnaise. That worked fine.
The mussels were from Pak'n'Save and they were pretty small. Very disappointing. I think I'll try Countdown & New World for Mussel comparison.
For the wine I found a 7.80$ bottle of Pinot Gris. I find Chardonnay and Savignon Blank at the cheap end very acidy. As I'd be using some for the cooking and some for the trinking, I quite like Gris.
Parsley I got from Mt Vic by the loop. Fresh.
I didn't have spring onions, they are $1.50 a bunch at the harbour market and 2.45$ a Pak'n'Save so I used some brown onions and a bit of garlic.
I think I was a bit heavy handed with the wine, so sauce was quite diluted, and I added a bit of cream. Unfortunately sauce was too diluted, next time, less wine and more concentrated. Maybe simmer to thicken, I can be a bit impatient.
I'd just made fresh Ciabatta so I toasted  a couple of slices for dipping in the sauce. Too watery.
So I'll need to do the recipe again. Hopefully it will improve.
Still a yummy and fun meal to have, opening the shells, getting the mussels, having chips and dipping fresh bread. Not amazing but hard to bugger up too much.
Definitely worth another go.
A slightly unsettled tummy that night. 2 mussels were only partially open, maybe I should have left them.
As weather is cooling it is maybe time to think of Seafood Chowder. A yummy warm meal. I'll have to plan for some bread making and cream to go with it. 

Instant pot recipe

I tried this out but I think after the saute I had it on for 2 hours , so after a couple of minute I pulled the plug out and released the steam, a serious amount of it before the pressure valve dropped.
I'm new to the instant pot controls so am wary.
Butter, onino & garlic saute'd about a cup and a half of pinot gris wine and then in pressure cooker.
I'd rinced the mussels in clean water but there were barnicles on them.
I didn't want to saute off the wine, but in fact, after the steaming/venting no taste of wine at all, so next time I'd just do in a normal pot.
The chips I did in the air fryer with lard after I'd soaked them in cold water to get the starch off them.  I had them avec mayonnaise and they were nice.
 Chips were good. Mussels well cooked, I still hd to take the beards off of the, but no wine subtlety to it. The parsly and spring onions on after were nice. Just the sauce dissapointing.
Conclusion on instant pot method ? Dissapointing, it steamed off the wine, part of the best bit of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment