Monday 1 July 2019

Rice Paper and things to do with it

I see the clearish spring rolls at Yum Cha and it doesn't really appeal.
I keep on seeing them at the Asian market & decided to buy some.
In the videos below the idea of Sushi looks very appealing, I've just bought some pickled ginger and need to make some. I've marinated and cooked some chicken, so tomorrow may be the day.
The 2 vids below give some ideas on what to do with them:




 Sushi

The sushi was a great success, I liked it so much i think I had it 3 evenings in a row.
I had marinated the chicken in Soy sauce and honey and cooked that up but I think I now have a use for Rotisserie chickens from the supermarket.
I always have coleslaw,chicken and bread for the first meal, then wonder what to do with the leftovers.
Mary would make a curry, but I think I will try a fried rice with Chicken and also a Sushi with chicken.
The other ingredient for the sushi is the rice. Since some of my fails with rice I've been using the 90 second microwave packs for between $1.50 to $2.00. Really quick to make and use, so handy.
 With Wasabi, pickled ginger and the rice paper the meal is put together as quick as making a sandwich. So a very quick meal.

Fruit Spring Rolls in Air Fryer

I've been making apple turnovers in the Air Fryer with my Granny Smith apples and the rice paper. I'm happy with these, they can dry out and crack and leak, but simple enough to do.
Crunchy on the outside and sweet and tasty inside.
Definitely an easy snack, and gluten free I think so I can offer Zoe some.
I have some Kiwi fruit, so I may try them one evening.
I'll have to try the air fryer spring rolls as well.

Prawn Firecrackers

I tried the prawn firecrackers with spring roll pastry, using half the pastry (cut on the diagonal). They tasted too bready and the prawn taste was masked too much.
So I tried using the Rice paper, but found it cracked when I used scissors to cut it on the diagonal. Then I tried wetting them before cutting, that was not too elegant either. Also wet rice paper was a bit slippery on the wet prawns and the resultant air fryer cooking of them was not too great either. The outside got cooked but it was sort of crispy inside but in a hard way, not a nice way.
I've now used a 1/4 of a spring roll sheet on the prawns and that works much better, a far stronger taste of the prawns in ratio with the pastry.

Dumplings & meat spring rolls

I'll have to hold back some mix the next time I make dumplings and use the rice paper to test it out, as well as spring rolls for freezing and using with air fryer too.


No comments:

Post a Comment