Monday 8 June 2020

Meat/fish Smoker

I've been wanting to try smoking for meat preservation and taste. I went to use the BBQ and broke it so I was left with nothing.
The warehouse manuka sawdust is $12/kg which was a bit high for sawdust, so I got a pohutakawa branch and used my planer to chip it down. Pohutakawa was an alternative for smoking.
Since the BBQ was out of action I'd put the idea of smoking aside, but I was in the warehouse and they had the smoker in the video below for $21.95 which I thought was pretty good, so I will try and use it on a couple of meats.
The one below is selling for $99 on trademe (also P&P), so good value.
How its used:

I'm salting some beef at the moment, there is a pastrami recipe where you salt, then add herbs then smoke, so I may try that, also for sausages too.
I had turpentine but no methalated spirits (ms), apparently terps is a nono so I got 1l ms from bunnings for 4.68$. So no excuses.
I'm wondering about pastrami? I think it was supposed to be a brine bath, but we'll see.

Test 1. Saturday 13th June

A bit of a disaster, the meths was almost all used up, flames out the side and meths bubbling off.
Smoke seemed to be used up quickly, not a lot out of the top.
Finished Pastrami had an oily/meth spirit aftertaste, so I'm not impressed with result to date.
Maybe Pohutakawa chip not the right flavour or wrong technique.
Disappointing

No comments:

Post a Comment