Saturday 27 June 2020

Apple Butter.

I've got a large amount of apples, I've dehydrated heaps and air sealed some and am looking for something else to do , and Apple Butter seemed an interesting project.  The consistency of the finnished product from Food wishes video on the topic looks good:
I wanted to use the instant pot to cook the apples, as that would speed up the process, I qite liked just cooking the apples on their own (with apple cider vinegar for liquid) and then adding the other ingredients in later, then you could taste as you go to get a flavour that you wanted.
  1. Core 5 apples and dice
  2. Cook apples w/ vinegar and water (I did it on steam setting for 40 minutes- pressure cooking time)
  3. blend the result with stick blender
  4. add sugar 2 1/2 cups (1-white, 1-raw and 1/2 brown) , cinemon 1 ts, 1/2 nutmeg, salt 1/2 ts, a big spoon (desert) of  treacle, a dash of vanilla essence.
  5. simmer in pot until reduced to consistency you want. I wanted it thick. (I did try in instant pot but too hot (I think it was on high saute setting) and it was spitting out so I transferred it to a pot and stirred over a low heat until I got the consistency, about 1 1/2 -2 hours.

2nd batch on 30th June

This one I had the wok on low heat (bottom left ring just on 2 of high setting and left it for quite a while, it didn't quite bubble so took hours to simmer, but a good thick result.
I didn't use treacle but used golden syrup instead.
I strained this, it took ages to do as it was so thick, but a much more buttery finish. The leftover stuff in the sieve I used for a jam adadive to sweet & sour pork. Very nice.

3rd Batch on 1st July
Currently doing this, I used raw and white sugar, some treacvle, a bit of golden syrup and a palm sugar lump in a jar. It took a while for the palm sugar to dissolve. Currently simmering.

No comments:

Post a Comment