Monday 22 June 2020

Caramelised Onion Marmalade

This is something I've enjoyed on an Anti pasta board, it goes with cheeses and meats and especially the bread.
Pak'n'Save had some specials on onions but as its the season I'll get some from the market if this batch works out.
This video looks good:
Recipe:
There were a few other recipes but they seemed a bit thinner, I like the onion texture rather than a gluggy jam so this works better. Also try with beer instead of wine.
I have a few onions so will test it out.
 The videos on using the instant Pot show a gloopy mess, I want to keep the onion structure if possible.
The additions were golden syrup, treacle and brown sugar, vinegar was Apple Vinegar & Dark Ale the beer. A bit of Thyme, salt & pepper. 2 cloves of garlic. Olive oil & butter.
I carried on reducing until it was similar to what is in the video. It has a nice flavour.
I have a jar & 1/2 from about 7 onions. I'll give the full jar away as a present and keep the 1/2 jar for myself.
I delabled the jars and then steralised the jars in the overn at 150 deg c for about 10 min.
Apparently keep for 2 weeks for it to mature. We'll see how that goes.
Not a hard recipe although you do have to watch the cooking so up every 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment