Monday 22 June 2020

Instant pot - just bought

I was cooking up some pork bones for a soup and it was taking ages and steaming up the house (not good in winter) so I had doors & windows open to bring in the dry air.
I had to run the stock and top up with water and generally keep an eye on it. I then thought about a pressure cooker. On looking on You Tube I saw all these articles about Instant Pots.

I'd heard Zoe mention them so I thought I'd do a bit more looking into them and what they can do.
  1. Steam rice
  2. Proof bread  ( the vids on making actual bread looked horrible).
  3. Stock from bones
  4. Slow cooker (for soups)
  5. Pulled pork
  6. Apple Sauce (maybe a good thing to try at the moment)
There are other things you can do with them, I'm just looking at some of the recipes now:
  1. Make Yoghurt
  2. Mashed potato
  3. cook whole meals (mainly steamed so speeds it up as under pressure)
  4. Stews (yuk)
  5. Curries
This can saute, slow cook and steam. The slow cook low temp is good for proofing the bread in a steady environment, so worth a crack.

The actual pot is teflon coated so I'll need to be careful with bones in it.

This is going to be an appliance that is either very useful or a waste  of time like the toasted panini press which I never use.
I'm starting to run out of places to put appliances.

I want to make soupls for winter, so meals are not too heavy.  I want to try and loose a bit of weight as I'm getting quite fat.

Also, with normal pot cooking heaps of moisture, which is a pain in the winter, so with this I can plug it in in the utility room and let it go, the moisture will not permeate the house (at least thats the plan).



No comments:

Post a Comment