Friday 27 December 2019

Ground Beef Jerky


While doing shopping I went to the Jerky area and looked at the flavours and prices. There were also some little sticks that looked neatly formed so I thought mince Jerky.
As it was day after boxing day I thought there moght be some specialds in the meat section and ended up buying some premium beef mince for half price. So I thought I'd try making Ground Beef Jerky with that.


Ingredients:
340 g Premium mince
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Ground pepper
1/2 teaspooon paprica
1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
! teaspoon Garlic pepper powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of chilli flakes

Weight before drying 360g approx

Air Dryer set to 80 deg C (lowest setting).

I mixed up all the ingredients then put it in freezer, spread out into a box shape with baking paper above and below for about 20 min, so I could cut it more easily and still keep the shape.
In a lot of the videos they have a jerky former, but I decided I'd have it thicker,  although thinking of it, that will be slower to dry out. They are about 15mm square



They didn't quite fit into the air fryer so I had to curl them around a bit for the last ones.

End comment

They look like dog doings, and don't look very appetising.
Actually the flavour is quite mild as I didn't want it really salty like the Beef Jerky I made.
Overall,. a bit saw dusty. Too dry.
Maybe the shape was not the best, too thick. Also it looked very black compared to the ones in the shop I saw.I made them thick so that all of the mix would fit into the air fryer. On reflection, maybe a few batches of thinner slices would have been better.
If I try it again that is what I will do.
Also sprincle peeper and Chilli over it at end and roll that into surface.
It took a long long time to dry out being so thick, doing thinner ones in batches may end up being quicker.
It is edible, far more so than the salty Jerky, but definitely not as good as the biltong, I'm really enjoying that.

No comments:

Post a Comment