Wednesday 4 December 2019

Dinner Rolls

I've been keen to try doing rolls, but have been put off by the quatity, but I'll give it a go and freeze some for another time.
I'm followingJohn Kirkwoods video:

for 12 Dinner Rolls, Ingredients:

560g z Strong white bread flour
320g Lukewarm milk around 40°C
1 large beaten Egg: at room temperature 20g
11/2 tbls Vegetable or Olive oil
30g Sugar
1ltsp Table salt
21/2tsp instant or active dried yeast, Fresh yeast is 20g
25g  of melted butter for glazing



As there is so much yeast they sure rise a lot.
I did have difficulty rounding the dough balls after weighing, I had too much flour on the bench, so I ended up using both hands and rolling between them, they still had creases in them , unlike John's in the video.
A first time, so I'll accept I'm still a novice.
Bread rising, I didn't have the extra 10 minutes while the oven was warming as I preheated the oven. Mine had not risen as much as in the video, also I didn't oil the clingfilm, so maybe next time the top of the buns should be oiled.
 Just out of the oven
 When buttered
 Out of the tray, cooled and on the rack. Opened and buttered. Slightly sweet but good.
 I'll keep 6 out and freeze the rest. I've had 2 so far, one with butter and a ham sandwich. Very nice and fresh.
It will be interesting to see how they taste after coming out of the freezer.

They are definitely worth a 2nd attempt, so hopefully next time I can shape them better.

I used them for toast in the morning, I had to be careful not to over toast them as they have a bit of sugar in them. I also used them for hamburgers. Handy in the Freezer. 
 

Attempt 2

I thought I'd try another recipe. This one looks interesting , I dont think I got the shape right the first time , so the rolling technique on this one looks interesting and worth a try. I substituted milk for milk powder.
 Recipe:
Water 120 ml
Yeast 1 tsp
Sugar 3 tsp
Sal 3/4 tsp (i put this in later with the flour)
milk  4 tblspn
1 large egg
Flour  2 cups (I used Strong white flour)

I put in mixer with dough hook and ran for about 10 minutes.
 Then in a bowl to rest for an hour. Double in size
Take out, knock back and roll into baguette shape and cut into 9 pieces
Roll each one out, then roll up and put in baking tray to rise- to double in size.
Egg wash, sesame seeds
In oven at 175 dec C for 15-20 min



No comments:

Post a Comment