Monday 23 December 2019

English muffins

I got a grill sandwich press and a lot of pictures show English muffins being toasted in them. I thought I haven't tried those for a while, so I should try and make them.

  A video with only 1 hour rise and a later 30 min rise




Ingredients you'll need:
1 tablespoon (9g) active dry yeast
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (139g) water
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (139g) whole milk
4 cups (480g) bread flour
1 tablespoon (13g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon (6g) fine sea salt
2 tablespoons (28g) gently melted butter, or canola oil

 This one looks interesting too:
 This is the recipe I used, in the video they are nice and thick:
Makes 8-9 pieces, Ingredients: ​

 ​ 350g (3 cups) all-purpose flour I'll use Strong White flour next time
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
100g (1/2 cup) warmed milk (not boiling)
100g (1/2 cup) warmed water (not boiling)
2 tbsp unsalted butter (or oil)
5g (1 1/2 tsp) dry yeast- TRY 2tsp f yeast next time


Mix ingredients, rest for 1 hour. Roll out about 10-15mm thk and cut into pieces  and let rest on tray for 30 min. On hot element with butter on low heat 3-5 min each side then bake in oven for 8 min (because they are thick so need to bake the middle)  at 180 deg C). I'll try 5 min in air fryer.

2nd time not so successful

I ran out of these, they are great for breakfast and save on my baking normal bread all the time.
This time it was not as succesful. I didn't seem to get any rise out of the dough.
 I had it on for 1 1/2 hours, then when rolled out for another 30 min, I did about 45 min, still no rise.
I used standard flour.
This was a Countdown package, I had some disappointment with one of their pastry sheets pack before, so I think next time I'll use strong white flour instead, that always seems to rise quite well.
The 5g is just over 1 teaspoon, I also used a different yeast, so maybe that was not so great.
Also the water/milk mix may not have been warm enough.

I was so pleased with my last attempt that this time seemed like a disaster. 

3rd timepart way between other 2

I'm really liking the Muffin breakfast. So I need another batch. I let them rise for 2 hours, and after cutting for 1 hour instead of 30 min. The rise wasn't that great.
 I used Strong flour, and heated milk/water. I also checked the yeast was active (I waited 10 min after adding it to milk/water/butter mix) and that was OK too. Maybe 2tsp of Yeast next time

No comments:

Post a Comment