Monday 23 December 2019

Grill Sandwich Press

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while. Zoe made me a toasted sandwich when I was up at her place, and it's a lot more moist than one made in an oven grill which dries out the bread as it toasts.  When married we used to have a sandwich maker, with the indented triangular shapes and have mushroom toasted sandwiches.
I was in Brisco's and looked at a number of types and finally found the sunbeam one on special at $60. It had a flat bottom and a corrugated top. Irt also had a bit more weight to it, unlike the zip one which was a bit lightweight and plastically. It is also 1800w so has a bit of grunt to it.
I wanted something that was a bit versatile, would act as a grill for meat as well as a sandwich maker.
So I bought it as a christmas present for myself. There were ones in the warehouse for 45$ but very plasticky, and the devices that I've bought to date I've used a lot.
As I make my own bread I wanted something that did not have a regular profile, so I could have any shape in it.
I thought about Toasted Sandwiches, Burgers, and saw the English muffins  on an image and thouught of a Breakfast muffin (I'll now have to make some)
So looking on the web, one thing that leaped out at me was making Quesadillas on it. What a great idea, see the vid below:

Shawarma 

I've also got some pita bread I just got out of the freezer for some hummus and found some cooked lamb, so I think iIll try making a lamb kebab in pita bread.
Onion, grated carrot, tomato, frozen lambheated on grill, hummus and the pita bread warmed in Grill so that it cuts to open.
So , a homemade and cooked Shawarma, absolutely delicious.

Ham & Cheese in Pita bread with Soy Sauce.

This is somrthing that I like, although it can be a bit salty with the soy sauce.
I'll have to try this out too.

End comment

So far, only the Shawarma (Donner Kebab) but it heated the pita bread and also cooked the lamb.
This particular model does not have a drain so the fat sits in the bottom and needs to be wiped out. Not really an issue as having the fat there allows the meat to cook in it to brown better. With the lid on it doesn't spit as much.

Steak sandwiches 5 jan 2020

 I've tried some steak sandwiches, but basically it just squashes the bread. I can't quite see the sense of it so far.  Ok, its warm, but the ciabatta bread breaks up and flattens.
I need to think about this a bit more


No comments:

Post a Comment