Sunday 22 December 2019

Chicken Drumsticks/Wings & Scallion Pancakes

Chicken Drumsticks

 I'd made some chicken drumsticks right at the beginning, as the YT vids seem to say that was the bestest thing for the Air fryer, but I made some and although the coating was tasty the chicken itself was pretty bland.

What is making me revisit this is the Air Fryer test video above with Chicking wings. In the shops the Chicken wings are more expensive than drumsticks, and as I've just bought some drumsticks I wanted to try out the recipe and will do so on them.
In the above video it references a Chef John Food Wishes video with uses Baking soda for crisping up ther chicken skin, so I'll try that, here is that video:
So, I'm going to try doing drumsticks again, but mabe the glaze should be also in a side dipping sauce too,. in case part of the chicken is bland, so you can dip into it to add some flavour.
First off, thaw the Chicken drum sticks, which is what I'm doing at the moment.  Link to recipe here
Ingredients for 4 portions:
2 1/2 pounds chicken wing sections
1 tbsp kosher salt  (TRY HALVING NEXT TIME- VERY SALTY IN CHICKEN WINGS)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp baking powder (aluminum free)
- Coat wings, and bake at 425 F., turning every 15-20 minutes, until they are browned and crispy. Total cooking time will be about 1 hour, but that depends on the size and temperature of your wings.

For the Honey Sriracha glaze:
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup Sriracha
1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 tsp sesame oil
sesame seeds to garnish

I put them on a slow heat to begin with, I wanted to make sure that the chicken was cooked through, then turned and low heat again, then on high heat. I ended up putting them in the fridge as I'd had the pancakes and a hamburger. After warming ad then cooking again I mixed the 4 chicken drumsticks in the sauce as per the Food Wishes video with Honey & Scirachi and mixed the chicken in with a sprinkling of sesame seeds over.

Very yummy and filling, but the sauce was a bit sweet from the honeuy, I think I'd try another sauce, maybe a buffelo type one next time, something with a hint of lemon maybe.
Definitely more flavoursome. With the sauce in the bowl you can always dip the bland chicken bits in to add more flavour.
Definitely worth another go. And a good cheap meal. Would go well with celery stick and carrot sticks.

Chicken Wings

 I found some chicken wings at Pak'n'Save for a good price so decided to give them a crack. After cutting up the wings, the very tips I've kept separate to make a broth from later.
There were so many that I had to do them in 3 batches in the air fryer. After the last batch I threw all of them in to heat them all up.
 I follwed the Food Wishes recipe for the sause. Quite hot. I may try a lemony one another time.Really filling, there were a lot of them. They were definitely more flavoursome than the drumsticks as amount of sauce per wing portion was a lot more so the chicken meat did not taste bland, also the amount of skin per portion too.

I did wake up through the night very thirsty after having them. A smaller portion would not have had such an effect.
There wasn't a massive amount of salt, so next time try halving the amount of salt, also not sure if the baking powder also created that thirstiness too. Maybe try with less salt and see if there is the same effect.
A lemony flavour( like the  Elephant & Castle ones in Dublin) would be worth a try.
Definitely moorish. I'd try again, but need Chicken Wings to be a good price. Maybe buy 5kg of wings and freeze them, but no room in the freezer at the moment. I may have to toss some of the things at the bottom like the unsalted bread.

Scallion pancakes

I've tried the shortcut recipe below, and a bit dissapointing, but I can see the idea of them.



 I think you need the dipping sauce, so follow this link for one here.
I followed the process, and maybe pressed down too much as it was a bit flat. The Scallion flavour was nice, but they were pretty thin. I'll try again but not press on them, see if they inflate.







No comments:

Post a Comment