Friday 31 May 2019

Roasted Mushroom soup & French Onion Soup



 Winter is coming and something quick and warm is required. So I thought I'd make a few soups. I'd already made some leek and potato soups, so I thought I'd try something different.

 The first recipe is Creamy Roasted Mushroom Soup.

I hadn't thought about roasting the mushrooms with Garlic & Thyme, but having the air fryer made that quite easy. 
It asks for about 900g mushrooms so I had to do the roasting in 2 batches. About 10-15 minutes each.
The roasting really gave the soup a lovely flavour.
For stock I used a gelatinous concentrate that went with 2 cups of water. It was fine for the soup.
After roasting and letting mushrooms cool down I sliced them as I wanted a chunky soup, not a cream. 
I froze 3 batches for later, having about 2 cups per ziplock bag and freezing them flat so they are easy to store and thaw. I didn't add cream to the freezing bags. If I have it I'll add cream when I thaw it.
The soup definitely had a lot of flavour. As it was chicken stock the mushroom and garlic flavours stood out. I am very please with this soup and will use the recipe again.

The 2nd recipe is French Onion Soup

The french restaurant in Kaiwharawhara does a mean french onion soup. Very warm and hearty.
This one I sliced quite a few onions, I think I had about 10-12 cups rather than 8. I used the mandolin to slice them up.
I put 8 cups of stock in (4 gelatinous concentrate packs) but it didn't really have a beefy kick to it. There is more than enough onion, in fact, I run out of soup and have lots of residual onion in the bowl.
I used Mozzarella cheese rather than Gruyere (There was only one brand in Pak'n'Save and it was expensive), so I got stringiness but little flavour with it. I do find the olives in a pizza offset the blandness of the Mozzarella.
I ended up with 4 freezer bags worth of the French onion soup.
The ciabatta goes well with the soup as I don't have baguettes.
Nice, but not the best. I will try another recipe I think for the French Onion soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne2hhWeLSS4


So for the moment well stocked with soups. I just had a snack with the residual dregs that were too small for freezer bags.


No comments:

Post a Comment