Sunday 12 May 2019

Dim Sim

I bought some Dim Sim pastry from the Asian Market in Kilbirnie.
The pastry was more yellow than the dumpling ones, and thinner, but thicker than the spring roll pastry.
I made some little parcels with the meat showing at the top, with a raw pork and vege mix.
 I then tried to cook these in the air fryer. The pastry was very hard and just seemed dry and crusty. It didn't seem to bake.
So next time I was at the market I asked about them, and the lady said they should be steamed. So this time I did
They sort of looked like won tons but they tasted fine with some  chilli sauce and soy sauce. 
So, next time I'm making spring rolls I'll make some of these too. 
I was careful not to thaw them out too much as the pastry sticks to everything and tears. 
I had wrapped these individually so they came out nicely. I also seamed them on a cabbage leaf that stopped them sticking to the side of the metal steamer. I still had a few tears in the pastry. 
The filling had too much veges in it so was a bit crumbly. More meat would have bound it together better. 
Very yummy though as a snack. 
I may think about freezing batches, then trying microwaving a small batch to partially thaw them quickly to see if that works.  I'm having issue with over-thawed spring rolls tearing and falling apart.


No comments:

Post a Comment