Sunday 12 May 2019

Leak and potato soup

The weather is turning, autumn through to winter. Time for some hot food.

Soups are easy to heat up, are warm and filling. I'm rather partial to some Seafood chowder, French Onion soup (only since I was in Ireland and grew some onions) & tinned Campbell Mushroom soup was always a mainstay from my childhood.
Appearing at the markets at the moment are leaks. They are in season, so I thought I'd try stocking up on some soups in the freezer. So I went to Mr YouTube and these video's seemed to show the way of making a simple soup:
Both recipes seem to be similar, so I charged ahead and put all the ingredients into a pot, potatoes, leeks, chicken stock, garlic and a dab of butter:
The result is very nice. Not exactly the most exotic of ingredients but fills you up and keeps you warm. 
A front is just coming in, and after I walked the dog I made heated up some of the soup. 
Quantities:
I used 3 leaks, cut them up then washed them, 1L chicken stock, and about the same volume of potatoes as the uncut leaks (about 5-6 medium potatoes). 
I had some panceta in the fridge (cured ham, I think I've spelt it wrong. This is thicker stuff from Moore Wilson) , so wrapped some in a paper towel and microwaved it for about 45 sec. It shrunk a lot. I chopped it up, with some wild parsley that I've been picking on my walk and sprinkled that over the top. Also toasted and buttered Ciabatta. 
You can add cream, and I bought some for the soup, but I didn't use it. I will add it for the next meal.
I intend to freeze the rest. Will try laying bags down flat so thin (so will thaw more quickly). Then I'll put them in the Freezer App I've been building.

I was a bit concerned about the cream, I didn't want that in the soup when I froze it. In fact its quite creamy without cream. The Bar Mixer does a good job of smoothing it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment