Monday 29 April 2019

Steamed pork dumplings & dim sim


A disaster with my sourdough. I used quite a lot for crumpets last week so I doubled the amount I put back into the jar. Because there was only a little left I took it out of the fridge and put it in the airing cupboard. A week later and lots has frothed out of the jar and covered sheets, towels, pillow cases and the vacuum cleaner below. OOPS!!! Next time I'll put it in a basin.
Anyway, after using a paint scraper to get the residue off  the timber floor and shelves and putting the other stuff in the washing machine, I've just topped up the sourdough starter as normal and put it in the fridge.

Pork & Spring Onion Dumplings

I'd made some dumpling with some cooked pork and they just tasted like the spring rolls. I shouldn't have cooked the meat. So this time I used raw pork as the filling following this video, I'd seen another video but this one shows the process:


And their recipe here.
 I used a steamer instead of frying them and I've just eaten all of 16 that I made with a soy sauce dip.
They were easy to make and I tried seaming for 12 minutes but 14 minutes was better.


I've still some filling left so I will thaw the other dumpling pastry and make them and freeze them for later. I can then either steam them or try frying/steaming in a frying pan, or even try the air fryer.

I may need to try some different dipping sauces too. 

Pork mince & Dim Sim

They have a video on Dim sum that I will try another time.


I like the idea of combination of prawn and pork.

 Initially I was using Pork mince which is quite expensive (compared to beef mince) and I've been buying Manu pork shoulder as a value cut and cooking it in bits in the aire fryer, so I thought I'd try and mince ity in my mini- chopper. That worked out well, so I got a lot of mince from a couple of joints and Manu got the bones and crackling. Definitely better value but uses up a bit of time.
When I'd used my dumpling pastries up I bought some more and some dim sim wrappers. The dim sim wrappers were thinner and dryer, and I tried to make the dim sum things above and I air fried them with a little oil. Not that great. I have some over that I will try steamed instead. I should have a combination of Dumplings and dim sum/sim.

No comments:

Post a Comment