Monday 29 April 2019

Mince pies

I must admit I have a bit of a weakness for mince pies.

I think the One Pot Chef has a very mellifluous voice and enjoy his videos. Good basic kai.
I watched 2 videos of his about pies I wanted to try. One looked like a cornish pastie and the other a traditional pier.

Beef & Mushroom


Aussie (NZ) mince pie

 
 I got the two confused. I had some flaky pastry that I was defrosting, and then went to the shops and bought some savory shortcrust pastry. I also bought some mushrooms. I think I was thinking of the top pie in n the videos above but ended up using the filling from the first and the pastry from the 2nd.
Basically dads mince. mice. onion and bisto gravy and some mushrooms, I used a bit of cornflour to thicken the gravy so the pies would not be too soggy. 
The pastry pieces would make 3 circles for the crust bottoms and lids, so the excess I rolled into a 4th. That was a bit thicker than the other 3 as there was quite a bit of leftover dough.
A lot of videos recommended between 185 to 220 degrees C oven for between 15-25 minutes. I looked at mine after 10minutes and the top was going golden. I ended up at 20 minutes and some of the filling had leaked out, so next time 15 minutes instead. 


I was considering doing them in the air fryer but as I was going to make bread I decided that I'd use the oven instead. I am reasonably happy with the result and will try the recipe again. 
I ate one after it had cooled for a couple of hours. It was a little fatty. Next time I will heat in up in the microwave to make sure that filling is hot. 
Also I sliced the mushrooms, I should have diced them up further as they are too big for the pie filling, you end up pulling some of it out and other bits of the filling come out too. 
The air fryer will only take one at a time. Not sure how to plan for that. Maybe freeze some of the leftover cooked mince into batches and make one pie at a time. I may try that method. 

I should use some of the filling and try making the top pie. That is a plan. I'll do that later as I have a couple of pies on hand at the moment.
So:
Oven 200-220 deg C
15-20 minutes but check after 15 minutes, see if top is golden.
Chop/dice mushrooms small for filling







No comments:

Post a Comment