Thursday 11 April 2019

Air Fryer what is working so far


 
I tried to do a bread pudding last night. I had a ceramic bowl and some stale bread, but I was short of milk.
Also the bread I'd saved was old fruit bread that was not a successful bake and I was a bit heavy handed with the cinnamon, something I'm not over keen on.  I found it was a bit dry. I have bought some custard powder ( A small custard container is too much for me, I don't use it that frequently) so I'll try it out with that.
It was delicious the next day with custard, see below.
Next time I have some molenburg toast bread in the freezer I will try and layer and see how that comes out.

Puff pastry

I tried the first example in the video above. It made a shape that I could use custard in. I also added a slice of peach on top.
The recipe says heat at 200 deg C for 15-20 minutes in the oven. So I did 200 deg C and 10 minutes in the air fryer.
I only did one for a test, I'd tried to cool the custard down but it was still very runny. I have some chilling in the fridge for the next time.

It was lovely and light. I will sprinkle caster sugar over next time.  
I wonder if baking the pastry on its own and then putting the fillings in after may make a different taste. I have a couple of squares in the fridge so will try one each way and see which I prefer. 
This is quick, easy, looks very pretty and is tasty.

Spring rolls

A great success, great to heat up in the evening and munch on as a snack.

Sausage rolls. 

I really like these for breakfast and for a day or evening snack. A bit greasy but yummy (maybe because I haven't had any for so long). I'm now looking to take one strip off and thaw overnight then just heat in air fryer and eat straight away. Although the frozen cooked ones and then pop in microwave is easy too. Just grab a bag from the freezer and put in the fridge overnight and they are ready for a 1 minute zap.
I put poppy seeds on the ones below, I've also put sesame seeds on them too. The ones in the photo below I just cut up, heated and then ate them straight away, they went very fast.


Bread pudding

This developed from left over bread. As I'm baking my own most of the time this issue does not come up as much. I will have to buy a loaf and freeze it to use for this. The bowl size is good for making a good size one for one person. It will last 3 - 4 portions.
I just had some with custard and it was delicious. A real rib sticker.

Frittata

Yes, good idea, I haven't quite got it right but am working on it.

 Mini Calzone

They are a great success. I thought I was getting pizza'd out but they are thin and not very oily so are definitely more pleasant than the pizzas I get at the talks. I think I'll need to make some more pizza dough and freeze it on the weekend.

Chicken bits and wedges

I tried these stopgap reheat freezer bits that I have in reserve and the air fryer heats them through well. You can fit 4 chicken pieces and a reasonable amount of wedges in the basket and they just need turning and a shake once in a while. Quick and easy.

Manu drumsticks and chops

Yes, good to do in batches and freeze. He is definitely getting a bit of padding on him as he eats most things put down now.

Whats not working to date

Southern fried chicken drumsticks. 

Although I never cooked them before, only doing BBQ drumsticks, and those extremely infrequently, I found that the outside breadcrumbs had the flavour but the chicken was pretty bland. Maybe some sort of marinade overnight might improve the taste. I may give them another go. We'll see if Manu eats the ones I'm not successful with.

Par baked bread

Still tastes doughy at my 2nd attempt. I did that at 12mminutes. About 8 minutes at 170 deg C and the rest at 200 deg C.
I may have to go back to my standard method of making Ciabatta bread. Or freeze the dough balls.

Roasted nuts and chickpeas
Not that successful to date but I'll need to be a bit more careful about what I'm trying to mix with them. 

End comment

I still want to try a few other things out, like patata bravas, although I have to make some of the sauce first.
Pork Dumplings would be interesting too.
Empanadas with puff pastry, which is really a calzone variation with a different pastry.
I definitely want to try some churro's too.
It seems to be setup to do quick heat and eat and picky bits, my type of food.
I should try some vegetables too. There is a cauliflower one that may be interesting. A few of the videos show brussel sprouts.
Generally, the things I'm enjoying are greasy foods but with the minimal grease in the process I haven't come across an oily experience. They tend to be a bit dry.
The flaky pastry and the sausage rolls



No comments:

Post a Comment