Saturday 29 February 2020

Potato (Russian) Salad and Mayonnaise & Sweet Chlli sauce

Potato Russian Salad

I am rather partial to Russian potato salad. It is a nice summer salad.
I'm always worried that I'll overcook the potatoes so the video shows a nice way to do it. 

I don't like all the other stuff, just potatoes, carrot and gherkins as well as mayonnaise. So I skipped the other ingredients and just boiled the potato and carrots as shown and chopped up some gherkins.

Somewhere I'd noted about only buying olives with seeds as the brine only penetrates from the outside and so there is more of an olive taste, rather than just salt. I think this applies to gherkins too. I bought some slced ones and they did not taste anywhere near as nice, nor were they crunchy.

So I boiled carrots for 2 minutes and potatoes for 3 minutes after dicing both up.
I love the Boris the Slav videos and here is his take on Potato Salad:

Mayonnaise 

I find mayonnaise expensive in the shops, I've tried buying salad dressing but that is yuk!.
So I thought I'd try the recipe below, it looked pretty simple:
But it didn't thicken at all, so I put in another egg and still no joy, I tried the whisk and then the blender again. The whisk just aerated the mixture, but the blender got all the air back out but it still didn't thicken, so I put it in the fridge.
I used an icecube of lemon and sunflower oil. Very disappointing. I'll need to ry a different recipe.
I decided to use the Heinz mayonnaise in the potatoe salad instead.

Mayonnaise - some comments
Gordon Ramsey says seasoning at end as it destroys the egg yolks. Also you don't want it splitting so you add oil slowly. Jamie Oliver did the same (egg yolks only & adding oil slowly)- both added a teaspoon of mustard at the beginning. 

I'll need to give it another go sometime.

Sweet Chilli Sauce
Whilst looking for mayonnaise recipes I came across this, it looks as if it is not difficult to make:

No comments:

Post a Comment