Friday 28 February 2020

Pork breakfast patties (McMuffin) & english muffin attempt 2.

I quite like the egg mcMuffins so want to make some breakfast patties.
I'm getting a bit bored with bacon and eggs for breakfast so would like to try something different.
The patties should cook in the air fryer quite easily. I need to get them out the night before to defrost in the fridge.
With 500g of pork and using this recipe from Spruce Eats

 Ingredients

  • 1 pound lean ground pork(about 500g)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
  • 1 teaspoon light brown sugar (or dark brown sugar, packed)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Optional: 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
After mixing there were 14 patties, I made them about 12mm thk and about 75mm dia.  I'm freeze drying them so that I can pull them out when needed. 
I may have to get some processed cheese (so it melts) and make or buy some English muffins.





7th March 2020.

They were a bit dry, I used the air fryer to cook them after defrosting them from the freezer.

 I was using the breakfast muffins in the freezer, they were a bit small. I decided to make some more using a different recipe from this one below that I did, they were not very airy inside, in fact they were quite dense:
So this is the recipe that I followed this time:

English Muffin Recipe in cups: -
 2 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour - 
1/2 cup of warm Water (make sure you are NOT using hot water) -
 1/2 cup of Warm Milk (make sure you are NOT using hot milk) - 
1 3/4 tsp Dry Yeast -
 1 tsp Sugar - 
1 tsp Salt

English Muffin Recipe in grams: - 
350 grams of All Purpose Flour - 
115 grams of warm Water (make sure you are NOT using hot water) - 
115 grams of warm Milk(make sure you are NOT using hot milk) - 
12 gr Fresh Yeast ( or 5 grams dry Yeast) - 
5 grams of Sugar - 
5 grams of Salt

The recipes dont quite match, and I used 2 tsp of yeast. Also used the stand mixer as well. 
I got 8 decent sized ones out of the mix. 
Also I tried using a skillet and no butter with corn flour (that burned - that is why you need corn maize as its bigger particles).


I also tried using the air fryer first, those lost their flat shape and when put in the skillet split a bit, but they all definitely looked better than the first batch I did.
I'm looking forward to trying these ones out. 


19th March

I liked the patties, the McMuffin breakfast, especially with the cheese. I was a bit disappointed with the previous paattie so I'm trying another mixture. This time I'm mixing and keeping overnight before I make the pattie so the flavours can get through. 
I had some pork shoulder and minced it, I got 430 grams to make patties. 

 Ingredients

  • 430g ground pork
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  •   1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
 I'll also flatten the patties out so they are as wide as the bun this time. 
They make a nice change from bacon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment