Saturday 23 November 2019

Sourdough Sandwich loaf & Sandwich loaf(yet to try)



A couple of weeks ago I had a hankering for Fish and Chips, so went to the local chipper to get some. I have a bit of a pommy habit of having Chip butties with them, so went across and boaght a white sliced loaf. As I make most of my bread at the moment, either Ciabatta or Baguettes from John Kirkwoods recipes this is a rare occurance.


Anyway, it got me thinking about making a sandwich bread. I looked up John Kirkwoods recipe for it and saw that he also had one for Sourdough Sandwich bread:
After being up country and leaving my sourdough startewr, which I mainly use for pancake mix nowerdays, I have been thinking ofdisposing of the sourdough starter.
Then I thought I'd try this recipe so decided to try it out.
It has the polish sponge that you put away the night before and after mixing ingredients in mixer there are just 2 rises, so a bit like the other breads I make. If the process is similar its worth a try.

Well, my adaptation was not as good. First, I had 2 baking tins, one metal and one silicone. The metal  one has a little rust on the bottom, and i use it for putting ice cubes into in the oven for steam.
Anyway the bread expanded sideways instead of being even, so it bloats in the middle. Its also splitting a bit in the vertical direction, I think because it hadn't risen much in the tin rise (of 1 hour in the oven slightly warmed).
I decided to put some seseme seeds on the top, as that is my current method.
After 30 minutes on 180 degrees C this is what it looks like.

I've sprayed it again and put it in for a further 5 minutes to brown, not in the tin. I've sprayed it, like I would the Ciabatta and baguettes. Then another 4, then another 4, it didn't get much browner than the first 5 minutes.


Now wait for 1/2 hour to let it cool down before I can taste.

Conclusion
I'm finding the sourdough starter not really giving very good results. I'll think about going back to Pam's yeast, that seems far more reliable and consistent.
I had some after letting it cool down and it was lovely, but all bread does after coming fresh out of the oven. In the morning I made some bacon and omelet sandwiches and the bread was very sour. There was a lingering flavour that I didn't like.
I did an extra hour rise on it and mabe that gave it the extra sourness. Also, I'd just topped up the sourdough starter after using it for pancakes that morning, and although just mixed it was not as gluey as it normally is after a week. Also it didn't seem to rise as much as the video, so that is why I gave it a 2nd rise.
Overall this is not something I'd rush back to do. I'll keep what I have and see if its any better toasted.
I've decided to make the recipe below, with one heaped teaspoon of yeastit will rise a lot faster than thios one. 

Basic Sandwich Bread recipe. I need to try this one instead

The video of basic sandwich bread. Dissapointed with the sourdough one above I decided to have a go at this one.


Ingredients
430g / 15.2 oz of Strong White Bread Flour
245g / 8½ oz of Warm Water 40°C / 104°F
 20g / 1½ tbls of Vegetable or Olive Oil
 7g / 1 heaped tsp of Active Dried Yeast
 9g / 1½ tsp of Kosher Salt or 6g / 1 tsp of Table Salt
 6g / 1 tsp of Granulated Sugar

It mixes well, and I've just got its first rise on the benchtop, and that went pretty quick at 30 minutes, so I've buttered and oiled the baking pan and put timer on for 20 minutes, so I can heat the oven whilst it does the last 10 minutes of the 30 min proofing.
It did not rise that much in the tin, but it baked well and browned better than the loaf above. After cooling for 30 minutes I tried a sandwich. It was crusty on the end piece and soft.
The proof will be in trying it tomorrow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment