Saturday 23 November 2019

Sourdough Ciabatta (baguette) & Potatoe Gratin

Friday I had a hankering for fish and chips. I haven't had a takeaway for a while now, so I thought, why not? $10 for 2 fish and half a scoop of chips (even then I throw some away). I love chip butties when I do this, so I buy a sliced white bread, preferably super thick.
I was looking for some new bread recipes and  thought about a sandwich bread.
 So looking on John Kirkwoods YouTube site came acrossa recipe for that and one for:

Sourdough Ciabatta.

This is a really wet mixture and also it needs a lot of rising time, 2 rises of 1 hour and 1 rise of 1 1/2 hours. So 3 1/2 hours of risings. A long process. But I'm interested in the results.
After the 3rd rise it was really wet so I used quite a lot of flour on the outside.

 Ingredients




  • The poolish
  • 200g / 7oz Bottled or filtered water
  • 200g / 7oz strong white bread flour
  • 200g / 7oz Sourdough starter
  • The main recipe
  • 250g / 9oz Strong white bread flour
  • 140g / 5oz Bottled or filtered water
  • 8g / 1tsp Salt

Method

To start the recipe; make the poolish a few hours or the day before.
  • Add the poolish ingredients to a bowl, mix well, cover, and leave at room temperature for several hours; I make mine the night before.
  • Next day or a few hours later, add rest of the flour and water and salt, plus the poolish to your stand mixer bowl (see the video for the best way to do this).
 After resting 20 min before baking they were still very soft and sticky, in fact they had oozed out the ends.
They did not puff up as much as the ones in the video. Still have to do a taste test.

Conclusion

Not that great for trying. The normal Ciabatta is straighforward. This one wasn't worth the extra messing around.

Sourdough Bagguette

There also seems to be an article on baguettes that I may try anotther time
https://profoodhomemade.com/sourdough-baguettes/

 

  • The Poolish
  • 200g / 7oz Water  (bottled or filtered water is better as the Chlorine in tap water will slow down or even kill the sourdough yeast)
  • 50g / 2oz of your sourdough starter
  • 200g / 7oz Strong white bread flour
  • The Main baguette recipe
  • The made up poolish (see above)
  • 520g / 18.3oz Strong white bread flour
  • 320g / 11.3oz Cold water  (bottled or filtered is better )
  • 8g / 1tsp Salt

Potatoe Gratin (dolfin potatoes)

I like these, I'd got a bunch of spuds and thought I'd use them before heading North to see Zoe & Karl's new place, so I'd been thinking of doing this recipe and googled this one:
https://www.recipetineats.com/potatoes-au-gratin/
I didn't have cream but decided to do with milk. Also it didn't have onion in and I like it with onion too. So its currently in oven for 75 minutes. This is a different one to Mary's where she's boiled the potatoes with cream and milk then put into dishes.
I made 2 dishes, so I'll freeze one for later and have the rest in the week.
Conclusion
 I did too much and not enough prep. I didn't have cream and it was a bit of a dissapointment. I threw a lot away.
If I do it again I'll boil it all up in a pot first, that was the way Mary did it, and it worked much better.
Somethinkg i love , but need to do it properly. Not totally sure about the freezing of it with all the cream and cheese, but on warming up it was nice.










No comments:

Post a Comment