Saturday 23 November 2019

Brews 10, 11, 12 & 13, Mexican Cervesa , a European Lager, draught & Dark Ale

I went shopping sunday 6th october and ended buying a few brew bits.
First off, I went to Pak'n'Save and got a Draught Extract. I needed that first so that when I go to the Brew house I know what enhancers to get to go with them.
PaK'n'Save generally only have the basic range from Coopers, but they do have the Mexican Cervesa which is in the next range ($18.50  per can).
Then I decided to check out Countdown Newtown as I was going to the Brew House for some PET bottles. They had a European Lager & Mexican Cervesa can's on special for $15.50 so I thought I'd get them. Also the Enhancer 2 packs were on special at $8 instead of $10 so I got a couple of those too.
Then when I went to Brew House I got some Finings ($13.50 for 10 doses) and also some PET bottles (2 lots of 15) and some enhancers. One for the Draught and one for the Cervesa as that needed the Coopers Enhancer 3 which I diddn't have, so I got a Pilsner blend for that.
 Overall, I only meant to get one can of something for the brew after the stout but came away with 3. Since the upper range ones were on special I thought it was worth it. I'm still interested in an IPA but may have to go to a more expensive kit for that.
For the moment I have a brew on and 4 cans, so lots of brewing todo. So I will only be needing bottles for a while.

Draught. I was looking on a blog to see difference between draught and lager and as I'd thought , a draught is when its poured from a keg/tap, rather than a bottle, so not necessarily a type of beer, rather a way its dispensed. Anyway, I think its an Ale.
So lookup Ale v Lager, apparently different yeasts. The Ale yeasts are active at top of fermentation, and the Lager types are active at the bottom of the fermentation.

Cervesa wed 13th Nov

Finally got around to bottling the Stout that I'd set up before going up to Zoe's. So that is now bottled and so I did the Cervesa. I noted that you could use the Enhancer 2 by Coopers for it (I initially thought that it was for the European Lager but that needs Enhancer 3,  so I set up the fermentation for that.
I really enjoyed the Lager I made before, maybe the physical work at Zoe's or else a crisper brew than the Real Ale. So I'll look forward to the Cervesa. OG was 1038. I did add about 300g of Dextrose to the enhancer as well, I thought it might have had a slightly higher OG, but it didn't.

 Tuesday 26th Nov- bottling

FG was 1012, a bit higher than I thought it would be , so  only about 3.4% alc/vol, although Coopers Calc puts it at 4% ish.  I used finings and hopefully the beer will be clear, we'll see in 2 weeks.
I had over 40 bottles so used them for bottling.

European Lager Tuesday 26th Nov

So, on to the next batch.  This time I've used about 300g of Dextrose and the Pilsner Brewblend.
A bit of a different method of mixing. I ended up putting in the dextrose, brewblend and the can of extract all together before the hot water, it was a bit lumpier, but there was not as much extract up the sides of the barrel . There was a bit of clotting with the Dextrose I think, but I gave it a vigerous mix and it all seemed desolved.
OG of 1040

After a week I checked on the beer. It had been smelly for quite a few days, I'd taken the top off the air trap and put it on the hose that I have venting into the roof space. On trying to do the FG (1010) it was really really cloudy and still smelt a lot.
On looking on the web it says:

Sulfur/Hydrogen Sulfide


Tastes/Smells Like:
Sulfur, burning match, rotten egg, raw sewage
Possible Causes:
Hydrogen sulfide, which is the chemical responsible for giving sulfur its unpleasant smell, is naturally produced by all yeast during fermentation. Many lager yeasts
can create overwhelming sulfur-like aromas. Ale strains generally make such small amounts that the odor is unnoticeable.
How to Avoid:
During fermentation, the production of hydrogen sulfide is inevitable. Co2 will carry most of the hydrogen sulfide away. Conditioning or lagering after primary fermentation is complete should make any left over sulfur smells or tastes fade over time.

from this website.

So maybe its just this Lager. It says to maybe cool it down and slow the fermentation. I'll keep an eye on the FG and maybe leave it in the cupboard for a week more and also use the finings. I hope it hasn't got a bacteria infection (other possible source of issue through contamination).
It was still reading 22 deg C for the brew, and puting it up on the counter it was still bubbling through the trap. So maybe its too warm.
There is a process called lagering, where you cool it down, but that is a lot of liquid to try and cool, so I've taken the towels off it and left it in the airing cupboard. I may have to move it to a cooler part of the house later.

I may pause after this as I seem to have a large stockpile of beer, and the last one is a Draught, so no rush for that at the moment.
I just hope this one is not mogadored.

Bottling on 12th Dec 

I put finings in and left for a few more days and it seemed to settle down. Still at 22 deg C in the cupboard. So willl wait a couple of weeks and see what it tastes like.
No real smell at bottling stage, so hopefully all that smelly stuff was needed and has now gone away so I get a lovely lager.

Draught Thursday 12th Dec.

Decided to carry on brewing, but leave for a bit longer, so the beer can sit for a few weeks and plastic cask age. I've got too much beer at the moment, so need to drink some, otherwise i'm stock piling it. As it is I have 11 x 8 = 88 of .75l bottles isn the store, so need to start doing something about that, maybe start getting a few of each out and reducing the stockpile. I've also got a couple of cases under the table in the kitchen. Plus the latest batch and this one brewing.
Still not sure what a draght is, I suppose its an ale.


So current brew has 1 Can Coopers Draught, plus Brew House 1.125kg Big body brewblend plus .33kg of Dextrose (just to boost up alc level) so instead of 1.038 og its 1.042. This means hopefully its about standard Alc/vol for beers (some woked out about 3.5% which is a bit weak).
Anyway, all in the barrel, now I just need to ut vent in and leave. For the last one I used the hose to vent into roof space, I'll try that again, so airing cupboard hopefully has less odours. This one has lots of food for the yeast, so hopefully it will chew through all of that quickly as temp is about 22 deg C at this time of year.


No comments:

Post a Comment