Monday 6 January 2020

Multigrain Bread & modified Ciabatta with wholegrain

I want to make a multigrain bread like the one from Arobake. It is lovely and crusty on the outside and moist and chewy, like a ciabatta inside. A lot of videos I watch just have a brown bread, which is not what I want.

The video below is the first that I've seen that looks like what I want:
Some takeaways from this recipe is 1/ The polish overnight ferment, and 2/ the soaking of the grains.
In the Arobake one there are bits of corn in it, that I like.
The one below is simpler and worth a try:

600 g Strong white flour
Seeds
 50 g sesame, 40 g chia seeds, 70 g flax seeds, pumpkin seeds 100g - Total 260 g
NOTE: seeds dry so more water, if seeds soaked then less water required
15g  Active Yeast
70ml oil
5 g salt
20g sugar
350ml water

Poolish

This is an interesting article on why you would use a poolish for bread making The yeast content is way lower than what I'm currently using. Artisan bread baking tips: Poolish & biga
I also like the idea of using a different flour for poolish. Maybe try wholemeal flour
A good reason for poolish is the big air holes in the bread, which I like.

Process

I decided to soak the seeds (corn, pumpkin, sunflour, sesame & poppy) overnight and strained the next day.
I did a standard Ciabatta poolish overnight.
Next I added normal ciabatta mix except I used 100g of Wholemeal flour with the strong white flour. Same water as the seeds were soaked, so no added water for them.
It has had the 2 rises and is now on the 20 minute rise before going in the oven.

Result

They didn't brown as much as the Arobake ones, I had them in the oven for 12min/8 min/ 4min/4min/4min so a total of 32 minutes trying to brown the outside. They are quite crusty outside and soft inside so that is pleasing. Maybe the Rye Flour adds to the browning. 
 Tastes nice with Hummus on top. I'm going to have Gambas Pil Pil (only one chilli though this time, 2 are far too strong)


Not quite the result, but definitely good. I will keep an eye out for some Rye Flour. I will definitely do again.
Its good with Honey or Marmalade , but too strong for eggs.
So after making it I found it has its uses but the Ciabatta is a more general bread. Maybe I should try just using a bit of Wholemeal in that for a more healthy bread. 

Ciabatta with 150g of Wholegrain flour

I tried doing my standard Ciabatta loaf, but substituting 150g of Wholemeal flour in the total flour of 550g for the mix.
I kept the poolish as 200g of strong white. I added the Wholemeal in the later mix. I'm sure I addded the 1 teaspoon of salt to the mix. It doesn't taste that way though.
The result is it does not have any salty taste at all. Maybe I didn't add salt, although I'm pretty sure I did. The bread is fine, a little darker than the normal ciabatta, and I gave it 2 x 12m and then a further 3 min , so a total of 27minutes in the oven at 230 deg C.

Comment

I'm not that blown away by it, mainly because of the lack of salt taste in the bread, more noticeable by iuts absence rather than the fact that it influences the flavour too much.
This may have been my mistake, or maybe it needs more salt. I will try it again, ensuring I put the salt in and check, or maybe adding another 1/2 teaspoon to the mix.



No comments:

Post a Comment