Saturday 28 September 2019

Curry Laksa & Naan

I would have, on rare occasions, Curry Laksa from KC Cafe in Courtany Place, it is a Malay restaurant and serves good, fast Malaysian food that I enjoy.
I started looking at a few videos on how to make it and it required far too many ingrediants that I'd have to shop for specifically for the dish.
I then found the following video that I thought was a better way.
I had a chicken breast that I was going to use in a stir fry, in fact I was looking up Char Kuey Tauw stir fry with thick rise ribbons, they also do this at KC cafe.

Char Kuey Tauw 



Anyway, I went to Pak'n'Save and ended up getting a Thai can of the Curry Laksa paste, it was a bigger jar but more watery than the one in the video. I also put in a 440 g can of Coconut Cream and added some potatoes as another additive as well as Mung Beans, Spring Onion and parsley for garnish. I had some frozen Naan bread and that was a delicious meal. The quantities made enough for 2 meals so I have enough for another. Great tastes, definitely a different flavour of curry.
Both meals were excellent.  I left the other in the fridge and had it about 3 days later. Definitely a try again

Sunday 29th Sept

I'm doing this again with the Asam  Curry Laksa paste, it is only medium but pretty potent all the same. I'm going to cook it up and let i rest for a day or so, as I bought some other meats and food that I have to finish off as well before this, but I thought I'd leave it to imbue the curry flavours into the chicken and potato.
The jar size was smaller, I still used a 400ml can of coconut cream asnd 500ml of chicken stock (2 oxo cubes).

Tofu Puffs

I'm having another crack at Tofu, this time frying them to make puffs for the soup, hopefully the soup  will give the puffs some flavour as tofu is pretty bland. I tried in Air Fryer, but that didn't work, so I used oil in a frying pan instead.

I'll report back on it when I have the 2nd Cury Laksa.

Naan

I'd made naan before and bought a great big tub of yoghurt that I ended up throwing away, and I was pretty dissapointed with the naan. I thought i'd frozen some but I haven't found the dough again.
So I plan to give it another try and cook all the naan's and freeze them. So I want to try that next. 
This video looks interesting, so I'll try that one.
Compared to the video above my naan was pretty dry and needed a lot of working. The recipe is:
  • 1 teaspoon Yeast
  • 1 Teaspoon Sugar
  • 1/4 cup of lukewarm water-
Mix above together and let sit for 5 minutes

  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1/4 cup yogurt (plain unsweetened ) basically half a pottle
  • 1 tablespoon of oil
  •  1/4 teaspoon Salt (actually I put this in with flour instead)
Mix the flour yogurt and oil, then add the yeast/sugar/water mix. Mix more, then add
  • 1/2 cup flour
and mix all together.
Cover with oil  & Then rest for 1 hour
after hour knock back
 and then split into 4  pieces
Roll out and wet one side with water then use a skillet (non -stick frying pans not enough mass) and cook one side until it bubbles then turn pan over and use element heat and brown.
Then butter & garlic.

I did this twice. One with pain flour and once with strong flour.
Have yet to test as I froze both lots for next curry.
I was quite happy with the results from the cook.
A couple of them unstuck and fell on element and burned.
Will need to practice the technique.

I had one of each packet as well as one from the shop bought frozen packet. I microwaved them all for the 2nd meal. Both of mine were too thin. They did not have enough content for absorbing the liquid in the curry, that saying, the Laksa is a very watery curry. If it were more pasty then both of them would have been fine to soak up the food. I have moe so I'll try it sometime.
Overall not that much difference between either of mine, the shop one wa1 1/2 to 2 times as thick so better at absorbing the fluids.
































No comments:

Post a Comment