Saturday 3 August 2019

Pizza Dough Filled Bread Balls and Buns

I worked in Germany a long time ago and there was a small Italian restaurant close to the Pension where I stayed.
As a entree for the table there was usually a small basket of pizza dough buns, freshly baked in the Pizza Oven, and some garlic butter (with salt and sauce so it looked pinkish). It was delicious and I usually ordered more and struggled to eat my mains.

Anyway, I was watching a couple of snack videos and they were showing little pizza dough balls with sauce, mozzarella cheese and salami wrapped inside the dough and then baked. I had to give that a try.
See the video below about 13:40 minutes into the vid.
 
 I also tried just dough balls with olive oil over. Both in the air fryer for about 8-10 minutes on 200 deg C. Both very tasty and simple snacks. I think I'll have to make some garlic butter to spread on the buns. 
I tried the straight dough balls, actually forgot some in the air fryer, they were a bit tough the next day. 
The filled ones leaked the mozzarella so I used a tin to put them in so the bubbling cheese did not go all over the air fryer. Good but I'd like to get them so the cheese doesn't leak out. 
Also the Mozzarella cheese is a bit tasteless so needs to be mixed with some cheddar or something to add some flavour. 
A quick and easy snack but the dough didn't puff up as light and fluffy as the ones I recalled at the Italian restaurant, so they must have used a different mix, more like a bun dough, they were far softer and fluffier. 
Would I do them again? I think so, they are easy enough so I can experiment with different fillings.





No comments:

Post a Comment